Monday, December 8, 2008

Sweet and Salty Cake

A few weeks ago, we had a potluck at work. There was a sign-up sheet with various spaces to put down your name, with only two dessert spots. I immediately claimed one by putting 'chocolate something' on the list. Someone had already taken the first dessert spot with 'carrot cake', so I thought there should be some contrast.

Sweet & Salty

As for what 'chocolate something' entailed, I wasn't certain until I remembered a cake I've seen making the rounds. Baked bakery's Sweet and Salty Chocolate Cake. The cookbook is on my Christmas list, but this recipe is on Martha Stewart's website.

I wanted a challenge, and boy was this a challenge! A fun one though. I'd been wanting to make a layer cake for a while. I want to be the cake-baker among my friends, the one people come to for a cake. I figured to become that person, I better start baking cakes. So I went out and bought some cake pans. I had one 8" pan, but this is a 3-layer cake after all!

DSC01277.JPG

I won't repeat the recipe here, but I will tell you what I found out.

That recipe makes a lot of icing. They said the caramel would do a couple cakes, and the ganache recipe would do one. This is NOT true. I actually made two of these cakes; one was a test that I took to our D&D night a couple days before the potluck. It was a completely different set of people, so no one got bored by cake. :) One recipe of ganache completely iced both cakes. Granted, I don't actually like icing on cakes, so I probably spread it thinner than the bakery does, but it would've been pretty overwhelming to have it all on one cake.

DSC01273.JPG

I needed two goes at the caramel, but that is more because my candy thermometer is a piece of junk. This I should know already, from my first adventure in cooking with Lester, on the fateful day we tried to make marshmallows. I have a feeling the caramel was supposed to be caramel-coloured rather than white, but I didn't want to risk burning it again.

I also ended up buying a Cupcake Courier (seen in the background of the top photo). If I do want to be cake lady, I need some snazzy transport. I'm also very excited by all the cupcake blogs out there, and want to try some of those for treats to bring in to work.

DSC01276.JPG

The cakes were well received at both events, and provided great snacks at work for the next few days. You only need tiny, sliver-like slices of this cake, even with my stingy icing job. The salted caramel is great, it cuts the sickly-sweetness of all the chocolate in the ganache (an entire POUND!). I used a hodge-podge of baking chocolate squares, which I think worked out to 6oz dark, 8oz unsweetened, and 2oz bittersweet.

Definitely put it in the fridge before transporting. The first cake needed to go in the car as soon as I finished icing, and I actually ended up using skewers to pin the layers together so it wouldn't slip apart. The second one had some time in the fridge (top photo) so it was good and sturdy. The Cupcake Courier worked well on my 15 minute walk to work. And I only got a few weird looks!

2 comments:

Sara said...

looks delish!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

I think that's funny your saying you want to be the "cake baking" friend so you better get to cake baking! LOL! Great job on your first try!

Btw, I want that book, too!
~ingrid