Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Mushroom Burgers: Rebuttal

I find it fascinating finding out what different foods mean to different people. Ask 10 people how they make grilled cheese sandwiches, and you'll get 10 different answers (I do mine under the broiler in the oven, and usually spread the bread with mustard first).
I actually made mushroom burgers recently (and by recently I mean before two weeks of double-duty followed immediately by tech week sidelined me), and they are totally different than the ones in the last post.

To me mushroom burger means that the mushroom takes the place of the burger. Roasted portobello caps do look a lot like conventional meat-y burgers to me.

DSC01205.JPG

Those are the mushrooms pre-roasting. There is an amazing recipe for roasted portobellos in one of my favourite cookbooks: Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook

While I'm not a vegan (or even a vegetarian) there are so many recipes I want to make in this book. I won't repeat the recipe (copyright, you know) the mushrooms are roasted in balsamic vinegar, wine, some oil, and the little flecks in the picture are minced garlic.

They come out of the oven completely black, but so very very good. I've served them sliced up (when I couldn't find whole caps), chopped into a salad, and most recently: whole on a burger bun spread with mustard, baby spinach and caramelized onions.

DSC01207.JPG

They made a tasty, healthy lunch to bring to work on a whole-grain bun that didn't give me the sleepies by 3:30pm.

Which version is a 'real' mushroom burger? Both. Which is 'right'? Neither. Or both. Cooking and food are very personal things. And don't get me started on the vagueness of the language we have to describe it! I suppose my recipe is 'mushroom-that-is-a-burger' and Lester's is 'burger-with-mushrooms-in', but who would put either of those strings of words on a menu?

No comments: