Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Recipe: Jewish Apple Cake

DSC01202.JPG

In a strange confluence of events, I made Jewish Apple Cake (recipe from Smitten Kitchen) to bring to rehearsal (on German Unification Day, October 3) for a show about Nazis, concentration camps, and Jews.

It's a very powerful show, about the son of a war criminal who finds out what his father actually did during WW II when he was 17. He just thought they were living in Paraguay for fun and sun. It's a tough show to handle for 8 hours a day, so we do a lot of 5 hour days, and crack a lot of jokes. And eat a lot of cake. There's only 3 actors, but this cake was gone by the end of lunch. All in all about 6 people tucked into it in total, and all pronounced it GREAT.

DSC01198.JPG

It was super-moist, and sticky, and apple-y, and all in all a great treat for while you're sitting around doing table work.

DSC01196.JPG

I managed to use up yet more of those teeny apples. I cut up about 35 of them for this cake. I only really needed to quarter them to get bite-sized pieces.

DSC01195.JPG

When I had put the layers together, I was worried there wasn't enough batter, but it came through and rose to make one of my favourite cakes in a while.

Here's a sneak peak pic of how I cook:

DSC01192.JPG
Why bother printing when you have a laptop? I've even got a keyboard cover, so I can scroll with sticky fingers using the up and down arrows.

No comments: