Friday, September 26, 2008

Recipe: Apple, Onion & Cheese Pizza

DSC01106.JPG
To give myself a chance to eat even more apples, I decided to find a savory apple recipe. This meant I could eat apples for lunch, dinner, and dessert! (I'm much too set in my breakfast ways for apples to intrude.)

I found a wonderful recipe at everybody likes sandwiches. Oddly enough, this recipe is not a sandwich. Once I read the recipe, it made so much sense: apples + cheese = taste sensation. I think it would've been even better with tart apples, but all I had were sweet ones. The caramelized onions were so sweet, I was eating them like candy. I was lucky to end up with enough to cover the pizza.
Still life with most of an Onion

I made my own pizza crust from this recipe, from the same blog. I put it into the warm oven to rise, and I think it may have been too warm. The dough was an odd, spongy texture, and I used all of it to make the one cookie sheet-sized crust you see. It cooked up fine though. I also used whole wheat flour, so that might have done something odd.

Pizza is so easy to adjust, I'm not going to repeat the recipe, but just give a basic rundown of what I put on mine.

I cooked down most of a red onion in a frying pan until it was all soft, then added balsamic vinegar, turned it down a bit, and let it all reduce and get tasty and sweet.
DSC01099.JPG
I found a jar of pesto in the fridge, so I spread some of that on the dough, which I had rolled out on a cookie sheet. Then on went the caramelized onions. I had some goat cheese that needed using up, so that got crumbled over the onions.
DSC01102.JPG
Next came the main ingredient: the apples. Once again, I didn't bother peeling them.
DSC01104.JPG

The apples were topped with lots of Irish cheddar cheese, and then the whole thing got popped into the oven until the cheese was melted and going brown on top (about 25-30 minutes).

DSC01108.JPG

It made a fantastic lunch and dinner for a few days in a row, and it helped me use up things that just happened to be sitting in the fridge.

No comments: